Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Early Bird Catches The Worm....

is an old, old saying I'm sure many of you have heard - and said! Well....today, that expression was proven to be true....at a wonderful wedding held earlier this morning. As a planner - I must say that I'm truly a fan of daytime nuptial celebrations. Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with dancing the night away, but saying "I Do" when the day is in it's beginnings..has a certain quality to it.

For one - you (generally meaning the bride, groom, wedding party and guests) are perky (well, after a couple of cups of Starbucks - some of you may be!), bright eyed (refer to that Starbucks thing again) and bushy-tailed.....which can bring a wonderful energy to everything!! Yes - I know that you have to get up early...but you do that anyway, right? Just think - let's say you exchange vows at 10 or 11 a.m - enjoy the company of your family and friends for a couple of hours, have great food, some good music....and by the afternoon, everyone has had the chance to eat, drink (more on that in a minute) and make merry with you and your beloved.....

That's exactly what happened today for my latest couple who jumped the broom into the land of matrimony! Candice & Mark hosted a fabulous morning wedding for 125 of their nearest and dearest at one of Maryland's beautiful mansions - the garden, complete with a sparkling water fountain, was the backdrop of their event. The sun was shining while some of the local animals (seriously - like Bambi and Thumper!) stood on the sidelines of the forest to watch them pledge everlasting love and committment to each other. When the ceremony was complete, everyone adjourned inside to a sumptuous BRUNCH. And when I say sumptuous - I mean it. On that menu were no less than 10 items for guests to enjoy - including omelet & waffle stations, country ham, marinated shrimp served up fiesta style in a martini glass, applewood smoked bacon, southern fried chicken, potaoes served 2 ways, salads, sweets - ahhh..the guests were just THRILLED with all of the delectable choices spread out in front of them. And judging by how many times I saw folks amble up to the stations...I'm thinking that not one soul left hungry!

What's the point to all of this? The bride and groom opted to have an event that was gastronomically fulfilling, elegant, warm....and dollar saving!!! In essence, the guests received 2 meals for one - breakfast and lunch. Because it was an early-day wedding, the bar was minimal - save the yummy tropical mimosas made with your choice of Verdi (on my Top 10 list!) spumante, a thirst quenching assortment of juices, sparkling waters and sodas rounded out the beverage options. Alcohol is the number one way to spike up your per-person cost...and this event really helped the couple save TONS. Let's face it - at noon, most folks aren't really going to want to hit the Jack Daniels.........

The guests enjoyed the festivities, the bride and groom were able to spend time with their guests - and by early afternoon, Candice and Mark were on their way to beginning a much awaited honeymoon! This early day shindig was a great way for everyone to celebrate such a happy occasion, yet have time left in the day to catch up with each other or just go home and chill....

So - don't let your fear of the sunrise squash the possibility of having a morning wedding! You may be pleasantly surprised at how being a part of those early rays of light - can offer a simply wonderful alternative to the tried and true nightime bash, while saving you some serious dollars in the process......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought about having a "morning" wedding and now you got the wheels spinning in my head. Whenever God blesses me with the day that I get married, I DEFINITELY want YOU as my wedding planner. I'm a BIG fan!

Vatesha Bouler

Anonymous said...

How do you get a venue that doesn't do brunches on a certain day to decide to have one?

Anonymous said...

I had never thought of a morning ceremony until my "friend" mentioned it. I always thought Christmas time until I helped with my grandparents anniversary party and saw how tiring it can be. However, I am not sure what colors you use for a morning ceremony in late spring. I like red ( Deltas always do!) and he likes blue, but I do not want it patriotic looking. Any suggestions?
Terica