Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Why I Cost So "MUCH"...

Simple title. Complex issue. It's a question I get asked over and over and over again - my response is generally more internal than external. See, wedding planners are are different cup of chicken soup that other industry providers. The services we provide are on another level and at their core, are the REASON someone's dreams and visions can come to stunningly, logistical life. Notice I did use the words "stunning" {for all of the loveliness and BLING BOOM you want} and "logistical", {because there is a method to all of the madness}.

For me, I can tell you without blinking one of these fabulous eyelash extensions of mine WHY my prices are not $500 for over 200 hours worth of work. Now...doesn't just hearing that equation say something? Not to mention almost 20 years of full-fledged experience in the industry, book author, television personality and so on...yep, all of those things ring up to be a pretty extensive work resume and assurance to you, the client, that I'm not somebody who got married last Saturday, thought the whole thing was FABULOUS and hung my shingle out when I returned from my honeymoon. And yes - there are plenty of people in the industry who are doing just that.

I'm a professional. I know what I'm doing. Actually, I know what everyone associated with your wedding is doing AND I make it my business to make sure that we are all on the same page. I'm the good cop/bad cop, I'm the arbiter of style, I'm the accountant and sometimes, I'm the shoulder you cry on when stuff just blew the hell up. I'm the first one in...and the last one out. I hold hands, I wipe tears, I make sure you and your new hubby (or wife) have some quality time together away from the hustle and bustle of it all, when everybody thinks you belong to them. In short, I'm the chica who makes the magic happen and ensures you have the wonderful memories for a lifetime to come.

So don't get price confused with ability. If you are looking to solely hire a planning professional by the dollar signs alone...you are sadly, mistakenly, going down the wrong path. This is your wedding...it's not like television, where I can tell the director "cut - let's do that again". It's a one time shot....and it's gotta be right the first time. If the proverbial dollar signs are clouding your vision, look at it this way {and this is a perfect segue into another hot topic we'll talk about!} - consider what your wedding is really about. Don't get blinded by all the hype and wonder you see in magazines, on blogs, websites and television. Truth of the matter is: WEDDINGS COST MONEY. And no matter what your budget is, you need to spend wisely. Why not bring the one person on board who can make sure that happens...so you can wake up the next morning and not be in the poorhouse, rifling through your wedding envelopes, hoping you can "make enough back" to cover normal expenses post-nuptial shindig? Think about it.

In the meantime, while you're thinking (and I really hope you are!), check out this amazingly insightful article from a dear colleague and friend of mine, Shayna Walker Weddle of Williamsburg Wedding Design. She breaks it down FOR REAL in dollars and cents why a wedding planning PROFESSIONAL costs more than $500. Between my musings and her number crunching, it should make things perfectly clear................

22 comments:

Jennifer Ramirez-Jasiczek said...

Thank you! Now I don't have to write this post. Well said.

Unknown said...

They never seem to understand. Thank you for this post Linnyette. I will be reposting.

susan kass said...

Excellent article. Very well said and 100% TRUE!!
Thanks for posting!

Angie Mack said...

OhMyGoodness! Amen and Amen! Thank you so much, Linnyette, for this powerful post. Thank you also for sharing Shayna Weddle's link on pricing.

J Marie Events said...

Thank you for this post.

. said...

Great article!! With everything you have to do in order for the wedding to go smoothly and all the fine details. I think the cost is well justified. I will not photograph a wedding if they do not have a wedding planner from experience when brides choose not to have a planning professionial the wedding is usually very unorganized.

Tamiko said...

Linnyette, very well written and so true to the point. I read Shayna's article and her 21-page download and she really did breakdown the cost. What she stated is exactly how large corporations work their numbers and how they determine pricing which is based on all the factors of the business in order to have a profitable ROI. Yes, we enjoy all that is involved in planning weddings and events, but we also have business expenses as well as living expenses and desire to have our numbers in the black:).

Very well stated by everyone.

SavvyBrydeGuru said...

Right on Diva!

Courtney - Alpha Prosperity Events said...

Awesome post. Thank you for breaking it down to the real deal of what it is all about.

Crystal Milton said...

I would just like to say AMEN! Thanks for the post!

Wedded Luxe said...

Great insight on this hot topic. As wedding planners,our work isn't tangible so it's hard for couples to comprehend what they are paying for. You have definitely articulated why we don't cost $500 and should for that matter.

Tami Brown said...

I have 2 words. Slam Dunk.

"For You" Event Consulting Services said...

Awesome post!!! I will be reposting this.

Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! This applies to any event planning! I really don't think that people understand what it takes to produce a wedding or event. It takes hours of preparation for everything to flow properly on event day!

Felicia D. Owens-Smith said...

Excellent and Well Said!

AAWP DC said...

Can I say AMEN, preach it and thank you!!!!

Pajama said...

Yeah!, enjoyed reading this =)

TMichelle said...

Thank you Diva! Now, we don't have to write the post. We can all gather in harmony...let the choir say Aaaammmeeennn!!!!

Lisa M. McGainey said...

Yes. Yes. And Yes! Thank you!

Craig said...

Speechless. This post is amazing, and although I'm a DJ not a planner, much of this applies to me as well as speaking to me and inspiring me to recognize (and verbalize) my value in the industry.

Linnyette Richardson-Hall said...

Thanks everyone for your feedback -I wrote this post to get people talking...and to create awareness. Don't get it twisted - we all need to get PAID, no matter what it is we do.

Danielle said...

Thanks so much for your post! There is a real need for an honest conversation about pricing and people need to be educated.